Marriott starts its annual Week of Wonders promotion — here's what you need to know
The hotel group is running a slew of different hotel promotions from Oct. 6 to 13. This includes bonus points on paid stays and discounted award nights. Marriott hopes this year's Week of Wonders promo taps into growing evidence more folks are choosing experiences over physical items for gifts during the holidays.
More than 1 in 3 Americans planning a trip this winter plan to cross a bucket list travel destination off their list, according to a YouGov survey conducted with Marriott Bonvoy, the hotel company's loyalty program.
Here’s a look at the most interesting deals that Marriott will offer through the end of next week.
Save on paid and award stays
Discounts on paid stays
Marriott Bonvoy members are privy to discounted hotel stays during Weeks of Wonders. You can save 20% off standard paid nights at over 5,900 hotels globally when you book by Oct. 13. You can view participating hotels and book discounted rates on the Wonders of Escape page on Marriott’s website. In most regions around the world, discounts are only on rates for stays Thursday through Sunday. Thursday requires a Friday night stay.
Discounts on award stays
Some award stays are eligible for a discount, too.
Book a hotel included in the Wonders of Discovery promotion and get up to a 15% discount on the award price when compared to standard award rates at more than 4,500 Marriott properties worldwide. Earlier this year, Marriott did away with award charts, but with this promotion, Marriott appears to have slightly reduced the price of award stays at participating properties.
Discounted stays will appear when you search for award nights on Marriott’s website. Again, you’ll need to book during Marriott’s promotional period to get these discounted rates.
A three-night stay at the JW Marriott Maldives Resort & Spa is priced at 279,000 points.
During the same dates, the JW Marriott Grosvenor House London is available for 210,000 points, while the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani is 109,000 points.
From our tests, the promotional award prices seem to align with what they were before. But if you’ve already booked an upcoming stay, see if it makes sense to cancel and rebook during the promotional period. If the cost goes down, you can rebook at the lower rate so long as you're within the cancellation window.
Get double points on travel experiences
Marriott is also running a Wonders of Exploration promotion that lets Bonvoy members earn double points on travel experiences booked through Marriott Bonvoy Tours & Activities.
These experiences include things like private helicopter tours of Miami and Fort Lauderdale and private tours of the Louvre in Paris.
Earn double points and elite nights on home rentals
Finally, you can earn double points and elite nights on Marriott International’s Homes & Villas by Marriott International stays with the Wonders of Inspiration promotion. As a refresher, this program lets you rent premium and luxury homes and condos as vacation rentals through Marriott’s platform — sort of like a more curated Airbnb.
Bid on experiences
Marriott is auctioning off a handful of unique experiences during Week of Wonders. Dubbed Wonders of the Extraordinary, this promotion lets you use your Marriott Bonvoy points for exclusive tours, private dinners and tickets to exclusive events.
Here’s a sampling of what's being auctioned off:
- Embark on a New York City culinary adventure with Phil Rosenthal: Explore New York City with "Everybody Loves Raymond" creator Phil Rosenthal (also a self-described foodie and star of Netflix’s “Somebody Feed Phil”), who will guide you through some of the best dining stops in the city, such as Peter Luger, Don Angie and Caffe Panna, for some of his personal favorite dishes. Guests will also take home a copy of Phil's new cookbook, slated to be released Oct. 18.
- Marvel at the Great Pyramids of Giza: Pair a midnight dinner of Egyptian cuisine with an exclusive guided tour of the Great Pyramids of Giza. The tour includes a meditation session inside the pyramids, which are usually closed to visitors at night, and a photography session.
- Indulge in omakase at W Osaka: The Week of Wonders suite at the W Osaka is home to the ultimate Edomae sushi experience. Sip cocktails in the hotel’s living room before diving into a full omakase course of six dishes and 12 sushi options.
- Gear up for the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix: The track isn't the only place for excitement with the Mercedes-AMG Petronas F1 team. Members also get to meet the personnel behind the top-performing team while enjoying a luxurious stay at The Ritz-Carlton Abu Dhabi, Grand Canal.
- Cayman Cookout: Head to The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman, for the Cayman Cookout, a culinary festival hosted by chef Eric Ripert. The event features a lineup of chefs, beverage experts and other memorable experiences and events in the Cayman Islands.
Marriott’s back with its annual set of Week of Wonders promotions. It's not the same level of discounts seen in the past, but you might find a deal that works with your travel plans.
Remember, the promotions discussed here aren't everything that Marriott is offering for the next week. Head to the Week of Wonders website to see the full list of promotions, including discounts on hotel candles and other merchandise.
Not all of the details will be helpful for all travel plans, but if you do have upcoming travel, it doesn’t hurt to price out some options and see if now is the time to book (or rebook).
But remember, each of these promotions ends on Oct. 13.
Additional reporting by Cameron Sperance and Kyle Olsen.